Thursday 9 July 2009

Old Ufo Magazine Cover

Old Ufo Magazine Cover
I've been going through and rearranging a room -- fondly called The Room of Doom, or Hell -- we use as a study/library. Such a mess! But getting better. I found this issue of UFO Magazine from 1987. vol. 2, no. 2. Pretty groovy cover!

I remember this very well. It was the first issue of UFO Magazine I bought. I found it at Eugene's then only New Age bookstore, called Perelandra. They were on east 11th, right by the University, and a few doors down from a movie theater. The bookstore later moved to the downtown mall about a mile or so west, and the theater closed down. (Now we have only multi-plexes at the two shopping malls.) Later, Perlandra closed its doors, which was sad. We still have one New Age bookstore in this town; Stargate, though, on my last visit which was a few years ago, they didn't have much in the way of UFO material.

About the bookstore Perelandra: I remember they used a different spelling, but don't recall how they spelt it. I think it was Perlandra, but not sure. I do remember asking the owner about it once, she told me they had spelled it that way intentionally and changed the spelling because of a numerology reading she had done regarding the bookstore.

This issue has a Bigfoot-UFO article and a letter to the editor from John Keel!:

"Thank you for sending your fine magazine. BUT your point of view is very restricted. Try presenting some of the many, many facts of this bewildering and fascinating subject."I wish you very success with this project. If there is any way i can help you here in the Big Apple, don't hesitate to ask." John A. Keel" New York, N.Y."

I also remember thinking that some day, I would love to write for a magazine like that. And now I do!

0 comments:

Post a Comment